Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Bees Last Week

I got into the hive last week to feed the bees. Evidently, they're making honey! They built a bunch of comb inside their feeder, so I had to bust it out in order to fill the feeder.

The comb on the right side there is the stuff built in the feeder.



Lots of bees. This was the first time that I have had a panicky sensation when getting in the hive. Very instinctual, "oh no lots of buzzing, stinging insects spilling out everywhere....." But I got over it. This pic is the bees before getting smoked.



The smoker really does work.



I put on the queen excluder under the honey super to keep her from laying eggs in the honey.



This is the comb I pulled out of the feeder. Some of it had honey in it already. It's quite tasty! It's actually totally amazing, it tastes green. Like flowers smell..... That may sound crazy but it's the only way I can think of describing it.





I also had a couple of helpful assistants.





No comments: