Thursday, May 22, 2008

Worm Bin

When my mom was here about a week ago we left my house to walk to the Waffle hut for lunch. From there we decided to go to the elementary school o see if Emme was out on the playground.  We walked past a house that was getting some work done, and there was a trailer full of garbage with a great big wood box on top.  I said "That would be the perfect worm bin!". We found the owner and asked him if we could have it, he said sure and got it out of the trash for us.  It has big metal wheels and metal handles on the ends too.  So I hooked Rosie to it and she towed it home!


We got out the drill and drilled some big holes in the sides for ventilation.  I covered them with that permeable ground cloth that I've ben pulling up from everywhere in our yard.  I hate that stuff, it's the worst temporary fix.  Put cloth down everywhere and cover it with barkamulch, so the weeds can just grow on top instead.  But at least I found one good use for it.  It should keep the worms from crawling out the ventilation holes anyway!


We shredded a bunch of newspaper and wet it down and added peat moss as well for the worms bedding.  We went to my favorite local nursery and bought half a pound of red wigglers.  1 pound is supposedly 1000 worms (no that anyone counts them!) so I should have about 500.


1 pound of worms can eat 7 pounds of scraps a week!  


There it is in all its worm bin glory:


One lucky afternoon and I now have a functioning worm bin.  Soon I will have fabulous compost!  


No comments: