Monday, May 15, 2006

the hardest thing ever

I'm down in Eugene, and got to meet R!'s uncle, the DogTrainer. I'm borrowing a shock collar from Andie's dad, and we're working on some discipline. Rosie is "Learning to be a citizen." It's working. I have to admit the results were pretty instantaneous; coming when called, even with other dogs around and walking with me off leash right past other dogs. It's phenomenal. but shocking her is the hardest thing i've ever done. little jumps and little yelps are like sharp knives in my heart. this is so so hard. i had to cover my eyes only once, and i've only cried a little bit. i"m trying to reassure myself that having her maul another dog or get mauled by one, or even worse, get ahold of a child, would be a whole whole lot worse.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rosie's a sensitive girl and I think a lot of her bad behavior was her way of getting your attention and keeping you all to herself. Her yelps and cries when shocked were probably her doing the same. Now you'll get to pay attention to all the awesomely wonderful good doggy things she'll start doing!!! Plus, she'll be able to make new doggy friends. I'm sure she's missing out on some great gossip. I wonder if they talk about celebrity dogs.

hardcori said...

I loved shocking the shit out of ourselves! I'm gonna sit around and do it by myself with my new remote training collar! ha ha ha!
and I think you're right on about the attention getting behavior. she wasn't yelping from pain, maybe surprise and annoyance that I wasn't letting her do what she wants!

Anonymous said...

Nice! Where you get this guestbook? I want the same script.. Awesome content. thankyou.
»

Anonymous said...

Very best site. Keep working. Will return in the near future.
»

Anonymous said...

Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
»

Anonymous said...

Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
»